Sunday, February 20, 2011

Beyond First Grade. And back.

I’m a teacher. I’ve taught first grade for ten years now. At the end of each school year I tell the kids that they get to go on to second grade, but I have to stay in first grade for another year. And we all laugh at that. (Don’t worry if you don’t get it, it’s a first grade joke.) I think that in some way it teaches that some things change and some things stay the same.

Well, the other day I was in an afterschool knitting club and one of my former students asked me sincerely, “Mrs. Love, have you done all the grades or just first grade?” I answered her honestly, that I had indeed done all the grades (and then some), but now I choose to stay in first grade teaching first graders.

It brought a funny visual. Of a 6 year old in first grade, staying in first grade until she knew it so well she could become the teacher. Surely that’s not what she thought actually happened. ? I’ll never know.

I am thankful for all my years of schooling. I am thankful for homework and for all the help my mom gave to me. I think my mom was my best teacher, especially in how to write. I am thankful for all the lessons and experiences of high school (both public and private schools), for my college and “then some” years. And I am thankful for first grade. I loved first grade the first time through (God bless Mrs. Kidder) and I love it still!!!

Pepper Love

No comments:

Post a Comment